Training the Next Generation of Emergency Medical Technicians
Explorer Post 547 has been working with the youth of Fairport and its surrounding townships to educate them on pre-hospital care and the role of Perinton Ambulance. Associated with the Boy Scouts of America, Exploring offers unique opportunities for youth to engage in different career paths and specialties including, but not limited to, law enforcement, firefighting, hospital systems, and more. Through Exploring, Perinton provides these youth with a base understanding, practical experience, ride along opportunities, and networking with guest speakers, for participating in the medical field. They also play an active role in assisting with Fairport’s Canal Days event each year and accompany Perinton employees through the event and caring for those in need.
In the program, we educate the explorers on the basics of human anatomy, pathophysiology, pharmacology, and special scenarios such as hazardous materials events and interacting with other first response agencies. They also learn the hands-on techniques of performing an assessment, the fundamentals of administering medications, moving and transporting patients, as well as proper transfer of care to hospitals. Once the explorer has shown true aptitude and comprehension of these skills, they are eligible to partake in a ride along with a Perinton Ambulance and watch as the skills and techniques they’ve been taught are applied to actual patients.
To partake in our program, all applicants must be at least 14 years old and the families pay a one-time fee for initial registration. There is no additional cost to being an explorer with Perinton Ambulance. We provide additional assets such as uniform items. The program typically meets every other Sunday at Perinton Ambulance from 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM.
- Participate in classroom and virtual learning, including guest speakers
- Engage in hands-on learning experiences, including life-saving skills and group projects
- Become certified in CPR, First Aid, Stop the Bleed, and more
- Participate in community service projects and large-scale standby events
- Be eligible to participate in job shadowing of Perinton Ambulance EMTs and Paramedics
- Be eligible for sponsorship in state EMR & EMT classes
Explorers must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Be at least 14 years of age and in the 9th grade and no older than 20 years of age when joining
- Maintain at least a “C” average while in high school
- Be of good moral character
- Be an ambassador of Perinton Ambulance and Explorer Post 547 in all manner of behavior at all times, including outside of sanctioned activities
- Comply with all applicable rules, regulations, policies, and procedures associated with membership in Explorer Post 547
For more information, including the dates and times of the next recruitment session, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org today!